Ipswich Sunday Football League Team of the Season 2015/2016
Abandoned Match - Result to Stand Abandoned Match - Result to Stand The result stands

The Football Association and the Ipswich Sunday Football League have made their decisions regarding the match between Playford Reserves and Taverners that was abandoned after 78 minutes.

Following a poor tackle by Playford's Ryan Broadhurst, there were two separate incidents of unruly behaviour between players of both sides. Due to the nature and lenght of the incidents the referee chose to abandon the game. The score at the time was 1-0 to Taverners.

The Football Association charged both clubs with "Failure to control their players" and issued fines. The ISFL managemtn committee made the decision, inline with Rule 10F, that the score at the time of the abandonment will stand.

Rule 10F states "The Management Committee shall review all matches abandoned in cases where it is consequent upon the conduct of either or both Teams. Where it is to the advantage of the Competition and does no injustice to either Club, the Management Committee shall be empowered to order the score at the time of the abandonment to stand."

Playford have issued the following statement:
"First and foremost as a club we would like to express our regret and disappointment that we have found ourselves in this position. At Playford we have always prided ourselves on our strong reputation and guide all new players on how to act on the pitch. In 18 years we have never had to deal with a match being abandoned and it is not something we ever want to see a repeat of."
"It seems the challenge by Broadhurst was in retaliation for a bad challenge he was on the receiving end of himself. This is inexcusable and not how we expect our players to conduct themselves, however it is something that should be left to the referee to take action on, not Taverners players. We have taken internal action against our player due to his part in the incident."
"Whilst we are dissapointed that the result has been allowed to stand, we stand by the decisions made by the FA and ISFL and are ready to put the whole incident behind us."

News Menu