Ipswich Sunday Football League Team of the Season 2015/2016
Felixstowe Rangers
2 : 3
K.Daniels 2
Charlie Francis scores Playford's second

A superb curling ball from wide right by Harris eluded the heads of the Rangers centre backs and Daniels was through on goal with only the ‘keeper to beat and beat him did, firing low and hard across him, left to right, into the bottom corner. Rangers struck back play down their left, their striker collected the ball in the area and his powerful shot went through Smith and into the roof of the net.

Playford went ahead a second time, a Rich Jones free kick was flicked goalwards by Thomas and Francis was on hand to help the ball over the line for his first goal for the club. Rangers would again strike back, Stu Goldsmith did his best with a lunging goal line clearance but could not keep the shot out.

Playford lost three players to injury during the first 80 minutes of the home game with Rangers less than a month ago and there were concerns that one substitute might not be enough. The match was only 27 minutes old when stand in ‘keeper, Chris Smith, injured in the first game, was clattered again this time around. He managed to make it to halftime before retiring hurt and was replaced by Bulstrode as Playford went into a reshuffle.

Goalscorer Francis donned the gloves and Bulstrode slotted into centre back. Bulstrode had only made one First Team appearance this season but proved the perfect substitute for the type of rearguard action needed in the second half. Bulstrode along with Rich Jones were instrumental in keeping out Rangers attacks, heading away numerous crosses and corners. Russell’s continuous hounding and harassing in midfield gave his midfield opponents little time to compose themselves.

Playford defended resolutely for 43 minutes, breaking away only occasionally through Daniels, Harris and Russell. But it was after those 43 minutes, as Rangers pushed higher and higher, being urged on by the not inconsiderable home support that a breakthrough came. A defensive lapse by the Rangers last man was pounced upon by Daniels and he carried the ball toward the well advance Rangers ‘keeper. He could have chipped the ‘keeper but bravely chose to go round him before patiently steadying himself and knocking the ball into the unguarded net to give Playford the victory and score his 50th club goal.

News Menu